Welcome to Dispensed Daily, your daily dose of healthcare news from Business Insider.
Today, I’m bracing for the swell of jackhammers as construction happens outside my apartment here in NYC. Good to see the city’s getting back to work, and apologies in advance to anyone I’m on the phone with today.
We’ve said it before, and we’ll likely keep saying it for years to come: the healthcare industry is ripe for disruption.
If anything, the US response to the pandemic has made that even clearer.
As such, it’s increasingly drawn interest from tech giants Amazon, Apple, Facebook, Google, and Microsoft.
Amazon, Google, Microsoft, and Facebook are transforming the $3.6 trillion healthcare industry. Here’s how they’re using technology like machine learning to change the way scientists do research and help patients get care.
Democrats just unveiled a 154-page bill to bolster Obamacare as they aim to repeat their winning 2018 strategy and defeat Trump. Here are the 6 key things you need to know about the proposal.
- Democrats in the House are preparing to vote on a bill designed to lower drug prices and strengthen the Affordable Care Act.
- While the bill won’t become law, the goal is to highlight Republican opposition to the healthcare law ahead of the 2020 elections.
- The bill includes a provision that would let the government regulate drug prices and use those savings to pay for expanding healthcare coverage.
- But the bill doesn’t touch on other Democratic priorities, including a public option.
We got an exclusive look at the pitch deck BrightInsight used to raise $40 million by convincing investors that it can help Big Pharma go digital
- BrightInsight just raised $40 million for its tech-savvy tools that help drugmakers get their treatments and devices over the finish line.
- It collects information from patients during clinical trials and from other care venues, then helps the final product get approved and used by everyday people.
- Business has been booming since coronavirus underscored the need for digital health, CEO and cofounder Dr. Kal Patel told Business Insider.
More stories we’re reading:
- Sana Biotechnology became biotech’s newest unicorn with $700 million in funding (Stat News)
- The coronavirus death rate in the US is almost 50 times higher than that of the flu. See how they compare by age bracket. (Business Insider)
- A district court judge just upheld a price-transparency rule for hospitals set by the Trump administration (The Wall Street Journal)
- Fauci says racism is fueling the coronavirus ‘double whammy’ killing Black Americans at high rates (Business Insider)
- Europe may issue a travel ban for Americans because of the rapid spread of the coronavirus in the US(Business Insider)
Thanks for reading Dispensed Daily, a daily version of my weekly Dispensed email. Let me know what you think! You can reach me with all your tips and scoops at [email protected]. Be sure to subscribe to the daily email here.